“Terroir” refers to the influence
of the natural environment on the growing of grapes and the production
of wine. This conference will explore how aspects of terroir can
be studied scientifically in ways that are of use to the wine industry.
The conference is conceived as a dialogue between individuals who
do research on aspects of terroir, and grape growers and winemakers
who can make use of the insights gained from that research.
- What is Terroir?
- Terroir Around the World
- Geology, Soils, Nutrients and Terroir
- Climate, Water, and Terroir
- Expressions of Terroir in Vine and Grape Physiology
- Marketing the Romance of Terroir
- Terroir and the Sensory Characteristics of Wine
- Impact of Global Climate Change
- New Techniques for Studying Terroir
- Terroir and Cuisine
- Enhancing Terroir through Biodynamic Methods
Also: Pre- and post-conference field trips to terroirs of Northern California